The sinus lift is performed to increase the height of bone available for your implant(s). It is imperative that you follow the instructions listed below carefully to maximize your healing and improve the long-term outcome of your sinus lift and dental implant(s).
- DO NOT blow your nose for at least 7 days, as the pressure will delay or damage your sinus healing. If you have to sneeze, DO NOT hold it back — sneeze out. Open your mouth and try to minimize the pressure in your nasal/sinus passages.
- You may use nasal decongestants, such as over-the-counter Sudafed® tablets or Afrin® nasal spray, to keep your passages dry, especially if you have noticed continued drainage or feel the need to blow your nose.
- Take the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor until they are finished, even if you feel fine. They protect the surgical site from infection. Also, 1 or 2 servings of yogurt or an acidophilus probiotic tablet are recommended daily to reduce gastrointestinal complications (such as diarrhea).
- DO NOT drink through a straw. This creates suction, which may damage a healing clot. You may drink out of a cup or bowl, or use a spoon.
- DO NOT smoke because smoking reduces the blood flow, contaminates the healing wound, and frequently leads to infections.
- DO NOT chew in the area of the Surgery. DO NOT chew hard foods but eat a well balanced soft diet.
- As soon as you get home , apply ice in a ice bag or wrapped in a towel to the side of the face where the surgery was performed. Keep this on for 15 minutes and then take it off got 15 minutes and repeat this routine as often as you can for today.
- Starting tomorrow, you should rinse with a glass of warm salt water as a mouth soak. You should rinse at least 4 times at day, preferably after meals. This will keep the surgical area clean.
Questions or Concerns?
Any questions or concerns, please contact us at 718-268-5777. For emergencies, please call us at 718-268-5779.